5 Liposuction Tips
Liposuction is an effective way of eliminating areas of fat that cannot be effectively reduced through weight loss. Follow these tips for best results.
- Research your physician thoroughly! Consider her background, experience, and where she practices.
- Research the surgery itself. There are a number of different types of liposuction. Tumescent liposuction, which uses local anesthetic to cause the fat to become firm and easy to remove, is generally considered the safest procedure. Consult with your physician about which surgery is safest and most effective for you.
- Maintain a healthy weight around surgery. Remember that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. For best results the skin should be elastic and not overly taut.
- Follow post-operative instructions carefully. Often physicians suggest that patients walk the day following surgery to reduce the risk of blood clots. Depending upon the area of surgery, some patients should wear compression garments. Your doctor will provide you with adequate instructions, but do not be afraid to ask questions.
- Do not continue to use over the counter medications without permission of your physician. Medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and vitamin E can affect blood clotting and possibly cause complications.
Follow these instructions for best results, and remember that your final results may not be visible for several months.